Yes Please – A simple phrase that can open doors and opportunities in life. Amy Poehler shares her experience from the middle. Here are my favorite quotes and takeaways from her book. (Which I highly recommend) They are lessons I hope I can apply to my daily life.
- “Saying “yes” doesn’t mean I don’t know how to say no, and saying “please” doesn’t mean I’m waiting for permission.
“Yes please” sounds powerful and concise. It’s a response and a request.”
- “Good for her, not for me” So often we focus our energy on what others are doing. We need to focus on what is best for us.
- “Saying sorry doesn’t mean you are a pushover. It takes years to unlearn what you have been taught to be sorry for. It takes years to find your voice and seize your real estate.”
- “Don’t Think. Get out of your head. Stop Planning and Just go”
- “Remember, your career is a bad boyfriend. It likes it when you don’t depend on it. It will reward you every time you don’t act needy. It will chase you if you act like other things are more important to you. If your career is a bad boyfriend, it is healthy to remember you can always leave and go sleep with somebody else.”
- “Most people become “famous” or get “great jobs” after a very, very long tenure shoveling shit…”
- “Your career and your passion don’t always match up. Plenty of talented people don’t have the careers they want. There is a difference between determination and talent. Hard work doesn’t always matter.”
- “Career is the stringing together of opportunities and jobs. Mix in public opinions and past regrets. Add a dash of uncertainty. Career is something that fools you into thinking you are in control and then takes pleasure in reminding you that you aren’t. Career is the thing that will not fill you up and make you truly whole.”